Tuesday, December 9, 2008

This week I love...

FOO DOGS!


These ancient Chinese creatures are so classic, so traditional, yet SO fun! Actually, a foo dog looks like a lion and they were commonly placed at entrances to temples, homes and businesses to chase away evil spirits. The pair consists of a male, playing with a ball symbolizing the earth, and a female playing with, surprise, a cub. I love them here in this bright blue, but I've seen them in many different glazes. Have a pair made into lamps for bedside tables. Or use them as bookends. Inexpensive versions can be found at asian markets or like this pair I found, on ebay. Interested in something antique? Ebay even has some that are centuries old. So have some fun and add some color to your home as well as a little Chinese tradition... get yourself a pair of foo dogs.

1 comment:

Joy said...

You know, my friend used to have some she had a whold japanistic style house! Those are great if you want to create a more open and cool looking space! hee hee... I onced used them as my pretend dog when I was little... don't ask...